Brian Berlage CPA welcome
individual image individual tab
for teachers
home office
529 plan and education IRA


One of the tax changes that resulted from the Job Creation and Worker Assistance Act of 2002 is the educator expense deduction. This above-the-line deduction allows eligible teachers of either public or private elementary and secondary schools to deduct out-of-pocket expenses for classroom supplies, books, computer equipment, and other supplementary materials. To be considered eligible, they must work at least 900 hours during the school year as a teacher, instructor, counselor, principal or aide.

When figuring their adjusted gross income (AGI), up to $250 of qualified expenses can be subtracted on line 23 of the From 1040 and line 16 of the Form 1040A. Any out-of-pocket expense above the $250 can be claimed on the Schedule A under miscellaneous itemized deductions and reduced by two percent of AGI. Before the Job Creation and Worker Assistance Act, the Schedule A was the only place for a teacher to claim a deduction for out-of-pocket qualified expenses.

To help teachers remember how much they spent during the year to accurately determine the amount of the deduction, the IRS recommends they keep all receipts and note the purpose of each purchase. This will also be helpful in the event of an audit by the IRS. More details on this new tax law change can be found in IRS Publication 3994 "Highlights of the Job Creation and Worker Assistance Act of 2002."

The information set forth herein was obtained from sources that I believe reliable, but I do not guarantee its accuracy.

icon Charitable Contributions
icon Energy Efficientcy Home Credit
icon Tax Rate Schedule 2007
icon Household Employees
icon Tax Cheat Sheet

view all downloads

"I already have a full-time job, and it has nothing to do with the peculiarities of tax law. I rely on Brian to save me money.
The first year I went to him, he looked at
the return I had filed the previous year and found mistakes. We filed an amended return and I received some of my money back. Why pay taxes if you aren't
required to?"

A.M. – Seattle, WA

view all testimonials

What is the status of my refund?
Contact the IRS Refund Hotline at 800-829-1954 or on the web at click the "Where's my refund?" link.

The taxpayer will need: their Social Security Number (SSN); the filing status of the return you are calling about; the exact refund amount as reported on the originally filed tax return.

view all FAQs

web disclaimer

Phone: 253.831.5009 | Fax: 206.577.5322 | email: | 34518 5th Place SW • Federal Way, WA 98023
copyright © 2006 Brian Berlage CPA Accounting Solutions PLLC. All rights reserved.