Brian Berlage, C.P.A.
Prepare tax returns and compile financial information for individuals, corporations, partnerships, trusts and non-profit organizations. Provide businesses with a broad range of accounting services on a regular or as-needed basis.
Sole Practitioner - 1990 to present
• Increased client base by nearly 20% during each of the past four tax seasons.
• Brought significant efficiencies to clients through succinct and accurate reporting.
• Analyze and review new client current and prior year tax documents and support.
• Assist clients with managing their finances so they can focus on their financial goals.
• Provide businesses with a broad range of accounting services on a regular or "as-needed" basis.
• Assist in the preparation and accumulation of your financial information in the form of compiled financial statements.
Pioneer Newspapers, Inc.
Corporate office of an 800+ employee corporation, including 11 subsidiaries.
Corporate Controller - 1993 - 2003
• Ability to analyze and problem solve has greatly reduced reoccurring reports.
• Created and maintain a multi-level consolidated financial statement template which reports corporate and subsidiary activity.
• Implemented new corporate 401(k) program increasing participation over 50% in less than two years.
• Analyze and Review monthly financial statements.
• Consolidate data for quarterly and fiscal year financial statement and tax reporting purposes.
• Responsible for corporate health and retirement programs.
• Support or direct special projects as assigned.
Corporate accounts department with 100+ employees focusing on the Microsoft solution within the financial community.
Market Development Specialist - 1991 to 1993
• Employee of the Month Award for outstanding contributions to the company.
• Generated over 15% of total departmental sales in a group of 25+ employees.
• Initiated high level marketing reports critical in monitoring performance.
• Migrated Fortune 1000 companies to the Microsoft desktop strategy.
• Educated and trained in desktop applications and transaction processing systems.
• Created, compiled and interpreted reports as the group's reporting specialist.
Bellevue based CPA Firm listed as one of the 15 largest firms in the Puget Sound area. Specialize in closely-held businesses.
Senior Accountant - 1985 to 1991
• Developed performance benchmarks resulting in more aggressive billing targets.
• Converted clients to automated accounting systems, improving efficiency and accuracy of reporting methods.
• Significantly enhanced the firms exposure participating in WSCPA and U of W Committees.
• Performed a wide scope of procedures including consolidation of client data, analytical review of tax and financial statements and tests of internal controls.
• Recruited and interviewed accounting personnel.
• Managed tax accounts with annual tax liabilities in excess of $1,000,000.
Over twenty years of financial accounting experience with a strong emphasis in financial statement and general ledger accounting. Areas of experience include financial planning and budgeting, tax compliance, training and supervising professional staff and information systems.
University of Washington - Seattle, Washington, June 1985
Bachelor of Arts degree in Business Administration with a concentration in Accounting and Marketing.
Excellent interpersonal skills
Effective management skills
Experienced with PC software
Certified Public Accountant, 1987